CECCHI WINES - crafting authentic Toscana wines: 20 May 2022.
The Cecchi family’s connection and knowledge of the historic Chianti Classico wine region is second to none. Cecchi Wines was founded in 1893 in Tuscany - Italy. After several years of experience as an assistant enologist in the wine cellars of the most famous commercial vineyards in the area, Luigi Cecchi set up his own business as a respected wine taster and broker.
In 1919 his three sons started working in the family business, and Cecchi rapidly established their reputation in almost every region of Italy. In 1948 his grandson Luigi joined the company, and due to his father's untimely death, ran the company on his own from 1953.
In the 1970’s Cecchi moved to ‘Castellina in Chianti’, an area renowned for producing quality Chianti Classico wine. In their cellars, their passionate winemaking team have access to the latest technology, while acknowledging and respecting the regions traditions. Vinification of their dynamic wines are carried out at their four commercial vineyard / wineries distributed across the famous appellations in Tuscany and Umbria: Villa Cerna in the Chianti Classico region, Castello di Montauto at San Gimignano, Val delle Rose near Grosseto, and Tenuta Alzatura at Montefalco, in Umbria. Since 2004, following the passing of Luigi, his sons Cesare and Andrea have run the company with enthusiasm and a focused passion.
At Cecchi - ‘Traditional wines, does not mean old wines’. As Tuscany has modernised, the Cecchi family have pioneered and adopted both respectful as well as long venture winemaking changes.
Over the years I have had the pleasure on several occasions to visit all of their vineyards. Each time, the team who are an extension of the Cecchi family, make you feel so welcome, and they have included me in several exiting projects over the years. When you go through their wines - you can taste each have their own story - and the talented team are determined to respect and grow a positive future.
Here are some brief words to describe my first impressions and the essence of each wine. An honest range of enjoyable drinking now wine expressions that are worth sharing.
Cecchi ‘Vino Nobile di Montepulciano’ DOCG 2017
Grape Varietals: 90% Sangiovese, 5% Canaiolo & 5% Colorino
Growing Region: Montepulciano, Tuscany - Italy
Directors / Winemaker: Brothers Cesare & Andrea Cecchi
4 Stars ★★★★
Carefully selected parcels of fruit underwent traditional fermentation in small stainless-steel tanks for around 3 weeks. Then transferred into small oak barrels and aged for 24 months, then after careful tasting and blending it was bottled and rested for 3 months before release.
• The inviting aroma has forest berries, violets and dried spices. The palate is expressing good textural layers of wild berries, dark cherry flavours, ripe plums, a hint of mocha, vanilla spice and earthy undertones. The rustic tannins are also well controlled, along with the dovetailed oak giving good structure and balance to the classic dry finish.
• Mild decanting & serve between 15°- 17°C : 13.5% Alc. - Classic Dry Style : Cellar 2 - 3 years : *Retail ~ NZ$39.99
Cecchi ‘Riserva di Famiglia’ Chianti Classico DOCG 2017
Grape Varietals: 90% Sangiovese & 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
Growing Region: Castellina, Chianti Classico - Italy
Senior Winemaker: Miria Bracali
4 Stars ★★★★
As each parcel of fruit arrived into the winery, the berries underwent a combination of traditional and modern vinification. Then transferred to oak, where it developed for 24 months in a mixture of aged oak barriques. Then after blending and bottling, rested for 3-4 months before release.
• On the nose hypnotic smoked spices, ripe cherries, mixed plums and violet notes. The engaging palate showcases red cherries, forest berries, mocha-chocolate, dried herbs and mixed spice wrapped in confident oak. The medium weight wine has rustic tannins and defined fruit acidity giving focus to the raw earthy nuance on a lingering dry finish.
• Medium decanting & serve between 15°- 17°C : 13.5% Alc. - Classic Dry Style : Cellar 3 - 4 years : *Retail ~ NZ$49.99
Cecchi ‘Brunello di Montalcino’ DOCG 2015
Grape Varietal: 100% Sangiovese
Growing Region: Montalcino, Tuscany - Italy
Senior Winemaker: Miria Bracali
4½ Stars ★★★★☆
Vinification took place in stainless-steel tanks, the wine was transferred to French oak barrels for 24 months, into a mix of 20% new and 80% two and three-year-old oak. After blending and bottling, it rested for another 24 months before release.
• An engaging fragrant aroma of dark cherries, wildflowers, dried herbs and a hint of cinnamon. These carry though onto the palate showcasing dark cherries, pomegranate, violets, cacao and controlled vanilla oak. All wrapped-up in confident tannins and natural fruit acidity resulting in a dynamic palate. The wines raw complexity is all in balance, with a lingering smooth dry finish.
• Respectful decanting & serve at 15°- 17°C : 14% Alc. - Classic Dry Style : Cellar 3 - 4 years : *Retail ~ NZ$74.99
*(prices, vintages & availability will vary by outlet & country)